At your first visit, a full patient history is taken including medical and dental history, and full patient details. Following this we will proceed with a full thorough dental examination. This would include:
- Examination of all teeth for caries/ decay
- Examination of all existing crowns, fillings, veneers etc
- Examination of the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of gum disease ( gingivitis/ periodontitis)
- Xray examination of the teeth. Our x ray system at Thames Dental Clinic is totally digitalized. See X rays.
- Advice regarding eating habits and their effect on the teeth if necessary. Foods and drinks containing sugar cause decay. Decreasing the amount of sweet things and consuming them less often in the day will greatly decrease decay. Snack on foods such as cheese, nuts, fruit and veg.
- Advice on use of fluoride gels, pastes, mouthwashes, tablets or drops, depending on the age/ drinking water supply. Only use these on the advice of a dentist and follow instructions carefully.
- Patient education regarding oral hygiene and maintenance, and preventive techniques such as fissure sealants, preventive restorations and mouth guards.
- Fissure sealants protect the biting surfaces of the teeth especially childrens teeth. They also make the surfaces more smooth and hence easier to clean. No injection or drilling is required, so they are highly advisable.